Image Processing APP vs PixInSight for stacking

Tracy

Founder
Classified ads
Classifieds feedback
+0 /0 /-0
Is there a specific reason that you use APP instead of PixInSight, which appears to also do stscking?
Is APP's stacking that much better than PixelInSight?

What about some of the competitors, like Siril, DeepSkyStacker, N.I.N.A, RegiStax, NebuLosity and the multitude of others... are they that much worse than APP?

I use the first two you mention (APP and PixInSIght) as my main stacking programs. The reason I use two is I owned (because I hate renting stuff) APP before I got into PixInSIght. I run two imaging cameras (Color and Mono) and select the camera I want to use for the Moon stage. As mentioned in another thread my Color camera is super sensitive to stray light (ie. Moon). The other consideration (even though my old eyes can't see it) is a Mono camera is said to give a higher resolution in the images. The use of filters with a mono camera can enhance the visual perspective you want to achieve.

Back to stacking. I use APP for stacking my Color camera data. The main reason for me is I don't have to mess around and debayer the color images like I do in Pix. I recently discovered just how well the APP mosaic tools work. Easy, efficient and great results. For my mono data I use Weighted Batch Pre Processing (WBPP). Some will argue this is the lazy way to do it, it is "Batch" prcessing which won't get you as good a result and individually calibrated...... Say that if you are doing it with 60 hours of data....

Anyone who has started AP in the last 7-8 years is familiar with DSS, RegiStax, Gimp, AutoStackert and many more. The are familiar because that is all they had. Depending on what you image Deep Space, Solar, Planetary.... can influence not only the Capture program but also the processing.

Just however is just my opinion.......

Looking at grabbing APP but waiting to see if they have a labor day sale.. .if so, I may go ahead and get it.

You have PixInSight, I'd try that first. If you need some data to practice on let me know, I have TB of it!

You have PixInSight, I'd try that first. If you need some data to practice on let me know, I have TB of it!
To late.... 👁️
Screen Shot 2022-09-02 at 1.16.58 AM.png

And I thought I was a impulse buyer! You on the annual lease program or did you outright purchase? They also have a forum, so does Pix.....

And I thought I was a impulse buyer! You on the annual lease program or did you outright purchase? They also have a forum, so does Pix.....
It's the owner license.
I've got it installed on my two processing desktops now.
I'm currently watching some of their videos from their site.

Any data to test it?

I could send you some if you need.