Equatorial Mount EQ-35 Pro failing guide on DEC

Tracy

Dark Sky Lover
Founder
Reaction score
Telescopes

William Optics 103mm
Celestron NexStar 8SE

I've been having issues with the EQ-35 Pro with a high DEC rate in Stellarmate OS.
I watched a couple of videos on how to adjust the DEC portion of the mount, and have the scope well balanced and removed as much of the backlash as I could using the small allen screw and confirmed that the gears rotate easily and that when the "head" is moved to the left and right there is minimal movement when locked.
Now the issue I am having is that when trying to get it to guide, when it reaches the DEC in portion, it times out.

Instead of using Stellarmate guiding, should I simply attach the ST4 cable from the guide scope to the hand controller of the EQ-35 Pro and not mess with any of the Stellarmate guide functions? Will the SynScan controller handle all the guiding, or is it necessary to use the StellarMate function and then use the via function of Stellarmate?

I'm SO confused and frustrated with this mount right now.

Tracy

Dark Sky Lover
Founder
Reaction score
Telescopes

William Optics 103mm
Celestron NexStar 8SE

I've gone in with Stellarmate and had it use the VIA Synscan and now am getting some decent numbers... still have to get the RA balanced a little better apparently.

OhNo

Founding Member
Reaction score
You are now understanding the reason long term APers always say "Spend your money on the mount"!😜

Tracy

Dark Sky Lover
Founder
Reaction score
Telescopes

William Optics 103mm
Celestron NexStar 8SE

Yep... looking at either an iOptron CEM40 or a Celestron CGX if I have to buy myself. Would really like a iOptron CEM70, and that may still be in the cards as a "gift".

Tracy

Dark Sky Lover
Founder
Reaction score
Telescopes

William Optics 103mm
Celestron NexStar 8SE

Pretty sure I still have to do some more fine tuning on the balancing... but so far it's been holding pretty steady at these readings...
Not great, but right now I want consistency as much as anything... once I can get that I can work more on the balance...but what do you really expect from a $900 mount setup? It probably is fine for live viewing and using a smaller scope, but my rig is probably pushing it, as a light wind this morning REALLY sent the RA/DEC into fits.

Screen Shot 2022-10-01 at 12.12.46 AM.png