• Guest, the images posted in these galleries are copyrighted by their indiviudal owners. Before using them elsewhere, you MUST get permission from the person that has taken them.

Deep Sky Full Moon LBN935 California Nebula

OhNo

Charter Member
Solutions
Classifieds feedback
+0 /0 /-0
Been a few days, and boy was it bright out last night courtesy of the Full Moon.... I shot to the West so the dome of my observatory blocked the beam of the moon. This is a 4 panel mosaic using the ASI183MM P, SharpStar EDPH II (61mm triplet refractor), Guided with a Starfield 60mm and a ASI120MM Mini. C/C by StellarMate using the mosaic scheduler.

Due to the time required for the auto focus to do it's thing I pre-focus and initiate the "focus if the temp changes" set to re-focus IF the temp changes by 3 degrees C. As you'll see in the second attached image capturing the sky with the same seeing and transparency is important especially with mosaics. I used APP to integrate the image. I then tweaked it a bit in Pix, but still not happy with the overlap artifacts I used Luminar AI to salvage what you see in the first image.

Gain:  70
Offset:  8
Exposure Time:  240 seconds
Camera Temp:  -15°C
Filters:  
  1. Ha

Camera:  ASI183MM P

Attachments

• LBN935 Luminar AI.jpg
    LBN935 Luminar AI.jpg
    869.8 KB · Views: 35
  • LBN935.jpeg
    LBN935.jpeg
    499.2 KB · Views: 28
Been a few days, and boy was it bright out last night courtesy of the Full Moon.... I shot to the West so the dome of my observatory blocked the beam of the moon. This is a 4 panel mosaic using the ASI183MM P, SharpStar EDPH II (61mm triplet refractor), Guided with a Starfield 60mm and a ASI120MM Mini. C/C by StellarMate using the mosaic scheduler.

Due to the time required for the auto focus to do it's thing I pre-focus and initiate the "focus if the temp changes" set to re-focus IF the temp changes by 3 degrees C. As you'll see in the second attached image capturing the sky with the same seeing and transparency is important especially with mosaics. I used APP to integrate the image. I then tweaked it a bit in Pix, but still not happy with the overlap artifacts I used Luminar AI to salvage what you see in the first image.
Brave man playing with a bright Full Moon, I looked & could only see a handful of stars it was so bright, you did alright though. I'm going to turn the gain down on the 183MM to 70 with my narrowband filters also

Round II in Luminar....

Thanks Stan, Yeah I didn't need my headlamp on for the trip to the Obs.

George had recommended the Gain of 70 and stay with the offset of 8 (Unity). According to the graphs the Unity Gain should be 120. but with the shallow well of this chip 70 opened up a whole world of possibilities.... Now I have "middle of the road, or poorer) NB Optogon filters. Your high end 3nM filter probably need a bit more light, and there is the dilemma.

My other camera (ASI533MC P) does well at Unity (101 Gain, 50 Offset) but it has a deep well.

I am typing this to say: Don't be afraid to experiment. While there may be similar combinations at work throughout the globe, several factors like light pollution, humidity.... all come into play. No two similar rigs are going to perform the same.

I keep wondering how far my sensors has degraded. I don't relish tying to figure out how much time I have on each camera. They get used every night there is even a hope of capturing an image. (Yeah, I don't have a life). But I DO SIT in the house wife the ole "ball and chain". I blame her for the expense and frustration of a obs and a semi-remote operating system! She was feeling ignored!:ROFLMAO: Wasn't the in-attendance imaging, I say it's the 42 years of marriage!;):ROFLMAO:

Attachments

• LBN935RS B.jpg
    LBN935RS B.jpg
    855.6 KB · Views: 28