My Introduction! HI from Houston

Sheridan

Charter Member
Classifieds feedback
+0 /0 /-0
Hello my name is Eric, and I started dabbling with astro photography in the mid 2000's using a 8" SCT. You know everything your not suppose to use as a beginner. Real life happened and everything was put on the back burner until about 2 years ago. I was at the beach one night goofing around with my nikons and ended up capturing the milkyway, and a fire was rekindled. Living in the light pollution dome of Houston presents its own challenges, however with the new technologies out it is doable. It may not be an apod, but it is a fun journey.

Hi Eric. Has the City jumped on the 'LED" street light program down your way? I live in a Bortle 2 area 120 miles as the crow flies from a major Saskatchewan City (Saskatoon). Their streetlamp replacement program is being done in phases. 2 years ago I noticed a increase in the glow I could see especially in the winter time,. Last year it was worse. This year I'd swear Vegas or Hong Kong was were S'toon used to be.

Why it is worse in winter time is the lights reflect up off the snow. Last report I heard was not many (if any) filters work on the wavelength that LED emit.... I imagine the humidity being as close to the Gulf really messes with sky conditions in Houston. I was in Houston one time in the late summer, this ole guy from the frozen white North felt like I was melting....

My neighborhood went to LED lights a couple of years ago. They do try to keep them facing down, however it's a Royal pain when they go on the glitch and just flicker. I have toyed around with a couple of UHC dual band filters, although I'm not sure whether they're helping or hurting. I am still learning that's part of the fun of this.

Yup in this hobby you don't ever stop learning. The photon is one amazing thing.

Financially LED is a boon to cities.... but for astrophotographers/astronomers it's a bane. From what I understand, there are no effective filters to reduce the impact of the light yet. I'm sure there will be as they mainly illuminate in a known frequency range.
I really wish more cities would get with the Dark Sky initiative.

Me too.

Light only aids the criminal. I know where everything is in my farmyard in the pitch black.