• Guest, the images posted in these galleries are copyrighted by their indiviudal owners. Before using them elsewhere, you MUST get permission from the person that has taken them.

Deep Sky IC1871 - trying something new

Tracy

Founder
Classified ads
Classifieds feedback
+0 /0 /-0
Playing with the gain/offset of the camera.
This is IC1871 (gallery image gives details on how many exposures of each filter)

Gain:  100
Offset:  30
Exposure Time:  210 seconds
Camera Temp:  0°C
Filters:  
  1. Ha
  2. OIII
  3. SII

Camera:  ASI533MM Pro
Looking good, I am surprised it isn't displaying more red.... How did you integrate (program and tools within that program) the filters?

Looking good, I am surprised it isn't displaying more red.... How did you integrate (program and tools within that program) the filters?
Processed fully using PixInSight, including stacking. Process was
Masked Stretch
Linear Fit
Channel combination (SHO palette)
SCNR reducing the green levels
exported to a XIFS file then loaded in on my other (newer) machine and StarNet++ ran on it using the defaults, then saved to a JPG file.

I think if I had more SII captures, the red would be more pronounced... on that cycle of captures, clouds decided to come in and interrupt during the SII capture process so I processed what I had captured that night.

EDIT:
After getting set up tonight I took a test shot using the SII filter and there is very little showing to the naked eye. I'm going to still add about 10-12 more of using that filter in addition to what I already have set for Ha and OIII.

This is a screen capture of the SII filter run.

1669778425458.png

Posted elsewhere, but since it's related to this

IC_1871 using DBE and additional Ha and OIII captures from the next night.

IC_1871 (11302022) DBE.jpg

IC1871 is a tough target. It's neighbor is much easier. IC1848 (Soul Nebula) at mag 6.50, is a nice target.

What scope are you using? I will set it up in my Stellarium and see what your FOV might be.

Yeah... the challenge of it being so faint was what attracted me to it. I think it's around a mag 10 target... so I figure if I can get it down nicely, brighter should be easier!

Some more tweaking... used flats and bias in the calibration - no darks.
I think there's a little more "red" present now. Simply base processes with no histogram tweaking.

IC_1871 (12032022).jpg

It's a nice image. Btw what part of Texas are you in?

It's a nice image. Btw what part of Texas are you in?
Thanks... it's taken some work to get it where some stuff at least looks decent.

As for Texas... East Texas.. think Tyler Texas area (it's the nearest "big" city). We have some nice Bortle 3 areas available to use with a very short (usually 20 minute max) drive.

It is a trek from the Houston area to get anywhere close to decent skies.

A little more tweaking with the Curves Transformation in PixInsight after combining the Ha/SII/OIII. I'm finding more and more abilities in PI and regretting purchasing it less and leas each time I "mess" with it.

IC_1871 (12112022).jpg

Pretty simple to get rid of the purple too.

IC1871 is a tough target. It's neighbor is much easier. IC1848 (Soul Nebula) at mag 6.50, is a nice target.

What scope are you using? I will set it up in my Stellarium and see what your FOV might be.
Think the data was fine.. it was the processing that sucked.
This is my latest attempt at the old data (found it on a spare drive after thinking I had deleted it all).

IC_1871_Cropped_092523.jpg