• Guest, the images posted in these galleries are copyrighted by their indiviudal owners. Before using them elsewhere, you MUST get permission from the person that has taken them.

Image Capture Last Night

OhNo

Charter Member
Solutions
Classifieds feedback
+0 /0 /-0
Last night I added a substantial amount of data to add to two previous sessions. M33 and M45.

Attachments

• M33 2 Nights SR.jpg
    M33 2 Nights SR.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 92
  • M45 Sept28 3 nights.jpg
    M45 Sept28 3 nights.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 51
I look forward to the day... ;)

I finally have some decent capture data... now it's going to be time to start working on stacking and then learning PixInSight at least.

With your 533MM I'd start with APP. That camera has no amp glow so you don't need flats or darks (you can add that step after you figure out (see) how the program works.... AP is simple, even easier to use than Deep Sky Stacker (DSS).

The 3 might M45 image above was 62x5 minute exposure that represents 1069MB (1.069 Gigabytes)of captured data.

This is using the defaults, with no dark/light/bias for my camera with my Andromeda Galaxy stack.

Andormeda.jpg

Save it as a .fits file and play with it in Pix...

I seldom satisfied with any image after it is registered and stacked. Fits seems to be the most common extension to use in a Processing Program so the .jpeg is just taking up space on the drive at the start. You'll be surprised at how quick you'll have Terabytes of data.

I seldom satisfied with any image after it is registered and stacked. Fits seems to be the most common extension to use in a Processing Program so the .jpeg is just taking up space on the drive at the start. You'll be surprised at how quick you'll have Terabytes of data.
I simply create a JPG for ease of uploading... then delete it as it can be recreated any time.
I'm finding that the FITS file is like a DiCom image. It contains data that the programs can read. Was really nice the other night when I had moved my camera for reframing of a capture. Then went back to Pleiades and wanted to do additional captures to stack... but how to do it realizing that I had changed my camera angle. INDI to the rescue. The "Load & Slew" option allowed me to load an existing FITS file and after solving and slewing it told me that my camera angle was not correct and how many degrees to turn it and which way. That was when I REALLY appreciated the camera rotator.

Yes the "load and slew" is a trust worthy time saver. You are the only APer I know that uses one. Glad to hear it works.

LOL You'll learn soon enough why we don't remove the camera more often than we absolutely have to. Dusty Bunnies! Cameras are dust magnets!

LOL You'll learn soon enough why we don't remove the camera more often than we absolutely have to. Dusty Bunnies! Cameras are dust magnets!
As soon as my camera is detached for storage, it immediately has the cover placed on it. Same way with the filter wheel and the flattener (which is left on the scope). First thing is to line every cover up in the order that the chain comes undone, so I can quickly reach down and grab what I need. I learned that a long time ago with my DSLR cameras and changing out lenses.
When I'm not using my equipment for any length of time, I prefer to store it in their associated cases as it's just another level of protection.

I find the rotator comes in very handy when shooting multiple targets that each require a different camera angle. I can set a plan to image target #1 for X amount of time, then slew to target #2, rotate and continue imaging...

Larry