• Guest, the images posted in these galleries are copyrighted by their indiviudal owners. Before using them elsewhere, you MUST get permission from the person that has taken them.

Deep Sky Lasty night's Iris Nebula

Larry

Charter Member
Classifieds feedback
+0 /0 /-0
I finally had a clear, moonless night and got to run some fresh data through Pixinsight. This was 99 x 180" frames with 50 flats, dark flats and bias frames. Stacked with APP and processed with PI. I'm pretty happy so far and hope to add to it Saturday. C&C welcome as always. Thanks for looking!

Larry
Iris_2022_RGB_session_1_DBE-DeNoiseAI-low-lightresize2.jpg

Cool. Some day when you want I can tell ya a little trick to get the purple under control. Nice and crisp, great focus, well done.

Cool. Some day when you want I can tell ya a little trick to get the purple under control. Nice and crisp, great focus, well done.
I'm all ears. I plan to add to it tomorrow night and reprocess all of it.

Larry

First, does it look green coming out of APP? If it does open it in Pix (.fit) go to the questionably named SNRC. Run the green at default. Take that and go over to the "Image" tab and go down to "Invert". Invert it and run the SNRC on it set in green at default again. Go back to the Image tab and invert it again. The resulting image will be balanced so the other tools in Pix can adjust it....... I thought that was in the video I sent you.

Just checked, go to about the 9:15 mark of the video.

First, does it look green coming out of APP? If it does open it in Pix (.fit) go to the questionably named SNRC. Run the green at default. Take that and go over to the "Image" tab and go down to "Invert". Invert it and run the SNRC on it set in green at default again. Go back to the Image tab and invert it again. The resulting image will be balanced so the other tools in Pix can adjust it....... I thought that was in the video I sent you.

Just checked, go to about the 9:15 mark of the video.
Thanks! I do use SCNR to eliminate the green, but I never inverted the image and ran it again. I assume this needs to be done before color calibration?

Larry

I do the SRC stuff first, crop next if needed, I usually don't do a color cal unless it is absolutely necessary. I mostly use curves. If the foreground or background needs work I separate the fore from background in StarNet ++. OR you could try the ABE and/or DBE or both...... Many ways to skin a cat in Pix!

Last edited:
There are indeed a lot of ways to accomplish the same task in PI!
I ran my normal workflow and added your suggestion about inverting the image in SCNR and it worked well. Thanks!
I also bumped around in curves to try to bring out a little more dust without adding a lot of noise and it seemed to work out well enough.
I'm hoping to add another 5 hours or so to this tomorrow night which should allow for some more aggressive stretching... We'll see..

Thanks again!

Larry
Iris_2022_RGB_session_1_DBEV2-DeNoiseAI-low-lightcontrastresize.jpg