• Guest, the images posted in these galleries are copyrighted by their indiviudal owners. Before using them elsewhere, you MUST get permission from the person that has taken them.

Deep Sky LDN1355 (The Helping Hand Nebula)

OhNo

Charter Member
Solutions
Classifieds feedback
+0 /0 /-0
This one is seldom photographed area. It is a Dark Nebula in Cassiopeia. I often search AP image web sites to see how others have captured and imaged a new targets. There are often page (60 images per page) after page after page of images of the same target, this one has 29 images in total.

I got 12 frames of 240 seconds for each of my LRGB filters. The 48 frames plus the 48 flats and 48 darks proved to be a little too much for my computer to digest at one go. I had to use the "how do one person eat an elephant by themself" approach. I had to Calibrate and Register the images from each filter as a group. (12 images from the Lum filter +Flats+Darks). When I had save all the masters from each filter I had to Register the 4 masters in PixInSIght. No big deal but and extra step. I suspect the computer issue was the result of not enough RAM. Each image is just shy of 40MB in size.

The stars were easy to capture, the foreground dust not-so-much. I will go back and gather more data when to opportunity arises.

LDN1355 Sept1 12 CS2.jpg

I am disappointed in this one. All of my images lately have been off. They say the sky has had Average to Above Average Transparency and Seeing. I occasionally go out to check the sky while imaging and would say it is below average. I suspect forest fire smoke in the upper atmosphere may be to blame.....

Are you familiar with "Astrospheric"? It's an app that has a filter to show the projected smoke interference. Accurate enough for me.

Larry

Have used it every day since he started..... is good but when he misses, he misses by a country mile.....