What's new

United States Light Pollution

Tracy Perry

Dark Sky Lover
Site Owner
This just gives you an idea of how challenging it is, especially out on the east coast and a small segment of the west coast (California, we're talking about you) to find dark skies. There is a lot of light pollution in areas that you would think would be more "green" in their behavior.

global_northam_Vb.jpg

Tracy Perry

Dark Sky Lover
Site Owner
It's pitiful when you live in a town of around 17,000 and the nearest "big" city is about a 45 minute drive away (105,000) and when you check for the area you live in you find this

ouch.jpg

No wonder my guide scope is having issues getting focused for me. Tonight it was bright enough to read outside... so just going to wait until the weather settles and the moon is not so bright and go down into the country to some friends land. It's in a Class 3 area so it should be easier to confirm in PHD2 that it's picking up stronger than what it was night before last.
The 2018 VIIRS gives that area a 0.46 that I'm going to go to.

Tracy Perry

Dark Sky Lover
Site Owner
Here is the mapping for the world's light pollution

F2.large.jpg

Tracy Perry

Dark Sky Lover
Site Owner
In addition to our local abnormally high light pollution, we have a thin haze of smoke in the upper atmosphere from the California wildfires.
Apparently it's already made it's way to the East Coast also, which presents viewing problems for most everyone now.

The smoke is being carried far & wide by the jet stream and there is a band of carbon monoxide that is also coming from the fire that goes to the east coast and splits southward towards Texas.

This is NASA's image of the smoke plume