• Guest, the images posted in these galleries are copyrighted by their indiviudal owners. Before using them elsewhere, you MUST get permission from the person that has taken them.

Deep Sky My 2022 Iris nebula

Larry

Charter Member
Classifieds feedback
+0 /0 /-0
I posted an earlier version a little while back but, since then, I was able to add two more nights to it. I collected 18 hours of data and kept the best 12 hours to process. This was all fairly moonless data too. No more than 6% moon. I stacked it in APP and processed it in Pixinsight. I think it could use a bit of HDR in the core and I'll probably rework it as such but, I'm pretty happy with it for now.
Iris_Combo_RGB_session_1_session_2_session_3_DBE3session-DeNoiseAI-low-lightCOMBO.jpg

Looks like the next step is getting a handle on mosaics.

It seems the more data you expose the more you realize the stuff you missed. Pix has a pretty good mosaic processor,. Data acquisition can be a pain though. What are your using to control your mount and cameras?

Fantastic!!!
It's great to see nice work... while we poor Texas are "forced" to be under clouds that are frequently dropping wet stuff. ☔
It if wasn't for the rain, I'd be more upset.

Quite possibly... I hadn't thought about it much since my focal length is 840mm, but that could be cool!
Are you using a flattener or a reducer?
My 710mm WO ZenithStar 103 is 710mm, but with my reducer/flattener it drops to around 589mm if my math was correct.

It seems the more data you expose the more you realize the stuff you missed. Pix has a pretty good mosaic processor,. Data acquisition can be a pain though. What are your using to control your mount and cameras?
It's kinda funny actually. It seems like, every time I post an image, I notice, or someone points out something to improve upon so I end up redoing it. I've heard that APP works wonders with mosaics as well. I'm probably not going to be doing any of that anytime soon though... I use APT for capture so it would be easy enough to plan out a mosaic I suppose.

Larry

Fantastic!!!
It's great to see nice work... while we poor Texas are "forced" to be under clouds that are frequently dropping wet stuff. ☔
It if wasn't for the rain, I'd be more upset.
Thank you!
Sorry about your weather but, it came with your new gear! :LOL:
I use a newtonian reflector which requires a coma corrector which is similar to your flattener but actually has a slight (5%) barlow effect. That takes me from 800mm to 840mm.

Larry

Larry and I have the same scope. They are 8" Reflecting Newtonian Astrographs. They gather light at f/3.9 and if you attempt to image with them without the Coma Corrector (CC) you might as well go to Walmart and pick up a $50.00 plastic kids scope. :ROFLMAO: They have been referred to as "Light Buckets" as the gather photons very fast (in relative terms).

I used APT exclusively for 2 years. The annual fee to keep up with the improvement was tiresome. The need to write scripts was a PITA. But the rudimentary stuff all worked without a hitch. The major reason I moved over to StellarMate is I bought a observatory. With my climate sitting or having a computer sitting out in the -25C (and colder) is a expensive disaster waiting to happen It's not that a computer won't work in the cold but what happens to that computer if you don't acclimate it slowly before getting in the house at room temperature. Condensation and computers don't mix. Plus the demented me seems to always need a new challenge.