StellarMate New version out

Turns out it may not have been a StellerMate update that did it. I finally was able to gain access to a terminal, and there were OS updates pending and once I applied them I've had no more issues tonight.
Just finished a sequence of 30 300 second Ha exposures on IC_1381B.

Still waiting on the Horsey to get high enough for me to start grabbing.

Confirmed bug in StellarMate that involves the optical train. If you have your scope defined at the correct focal length in the telescope field and then in the optical train set to use a .08 reducer, it does not factor that in and keeps your focal length at whatever you have defined for the telescope... which causes issues in plate solving since your "real" focal length (in my case is 568mm and the plate solving thinks it is 710mm) does not take the reducer into consideration.

There are some other issues present in the new version that they have not responded to the ticket about, like being unable to delete the first entry in your optical train but being able to delete any other entry with no problems.

I'm REALLY started to get frustrated with Jasem & Stellarmate (actually probably more KStars).
I've had NOTHING but problems after a meridian flip tonight.... I'm copying my captured data over to my local storage and I'm going to reinstall 1.7.3 version which I've had no issues with... that was a version before he had his brilliant idea of "optical trains".
Hell, I can't even get the EQMod mount to do an alignment when capturing... it apparently thinks the mount is on the opposite side of the pier than what it actually is. And I've reset the mount from the handset. so it's probably just yet one more case of StellarMate OS writing data somewhere and not being able to clear it (like you currently can't clear your #1 position optical train).

I'm seriously contemplating a ASI Air since all my equipment will work with it. At least they appear to have their **** together.

The ASIAIR is a good product & OS, BUT only ZWO equipment can be used, your mount is ok. NINA is very flexible & easy to operate
Turns out that a few other people with an EQ5-R Pro have had issues after a meridian flip.... seems there is yet another bug in the software.
After I get my latest captures copied off the SD card on the RPi4 I'll be re-installing the original version I got.
If I can find somewhere that has the ASI Air Plus in stock I'll probably be ordering one since I use mainly ZWO stuff, with the exception of the Pegasus Power Box Advanced I have. I don't think the two play well together.

The PPB advanced & ASIAIR don't play together
Yep... the ASI Air doesn't play with anything non-ZWO. It can still be used, you just have to attach to it directly to adjust the settings, but once that is done you should be good to go. I've got a Pegasus Falcon coming in (courtesy of a surprise purchased by my son for me) and may actually look at getting a NUC and rolling my own.... and if it means N.I.N.A then so be it.

You can use the AstroBerry or SM OS in the ASIAir Pro. Kind of an expensive way to do it though. I used the OG Air OS once, it was way old school, Did a update once and it was still eons behind SM.

You can use the AstroBerry or SM OS in the ASIAir Pro. Kind of an expensive way to do it though. I used the OG Air OS once, it was way old school, Did a update once and it was still eons behind SM.
Yep, the AstroAir Pro/Plus is simply an RPi with some "add-ons" tacked into it, like an external WiFi antenna (which can be done with the RPi) and some power connections for 5v/12v plugs. Of course, the ASIAir won't work with my Pegasus Power Box Advanced or the new Falcon that is coming in... so if I do anything it's looking more and more like an Intel NUC with N.I.N.A. on it.

Looks like the issue was an EQMod driver issue as they just pushed one out for it on the Stellarmate OS repository.

Screen Shot 2022-11-13 at 4.57.57 PM.png

I installed this upgrade, and if ti works, it's going to stay where it's at now until he gets the optical train issue fixed in KStars 3.6.2 that is supposed to be out in about 3 weeks.

ARGHHHHH!!!!! was hoping the latest version fixed an issue that I was having the other night... now the entire stinking setup is fubar'd beyond belief. Want a target in the east... it wants to point west. Want a target in the west... it decided to point east.

And I'm pretty sure all these settings are what they need to be in the EQMod driver. I can't find anything else that might have to do with that... looks like the driver may have regressed.

Screen Shot 2022-12-01 at 7.00.01 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-12-01 at 7.00.44 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-12-01 at 7.00.57 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-12-01 at 7.01.41 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-12-01 at 7.01.56 AM.png

Date/Time/Location of the RPi is correct. Never understood yet why the Lat shows the correct setting... but the Lon shows what appears to be on a 360° axis instead of using negative numbers - that may be why though.

Screen Shot 2022-12-01 at 7.05.25 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-12-01 at 7.06.32 AM.png

I've got a spare 32GB card I'm burning 1.7.2 to so that I can try it tonight if weather allows.

The other weird thing is now also the guiding errors out with a cable/backlash issue. Funny it was working last night, and you can slew to the east/west/north/south using the controls.

I've spent from 6PM yesterday until 7AM this morning messing with it.

Double check the lower right on your Kstars screen (the place that states your location) I've had that have a brain fart and put me somewhere else.

Double check the lower right on your Kstars screen (the place that states your location) I've had that have a brain fart and put me somewhere else.
Mine is in the lower left... and definitely shows Palestine Texas as I always set the home position before I even start (custom defined and submitted to KStars but they got the LAT/LON wrong so I have to edit it in the DB editor every time there is a KStars update).
The lower right shows where the cursor is pointing on the map. That data on the right for the target matches the RA/DEC and Azimuth and elevation settings that correspond to the app on my phone for a target selected.

The only other thing I could think it might be is the mount itself... but as new as it is, I doubt it.

I have 1.7.2 burned to a card... but it's to cloudy out to be able to do anything tonight.

Needless to say... I've had a ticket open for 16 hours with Jasem & company at Stellarmate with a high rating... no response. And no response over at the INDI forum either.

Sorry I meant lower left....damn dyslexia...

Sorry I meant lower left....damn dyslexia...
I figured that's what you meant... but it was still a good point.. that in the lower right, if it doesn't match what your RA/DEC should be would be a warning sign that something was off.
In fact, until you mentioned it, I hadn't even really paid attention to the data in the right hand bottom corner of the KStars screen.

Yeah there is stuff all over the place, it needs a good re-organization.

Haven't been able to find 1.7.1 anywhere... the oldest they have is 1.7.3 for download... and I have 1.7.2 on-hand.
In fact, I've imaged 1.7.2 onto the card and am configuring it now... just have to wait for a night with something other than solid cloud cover.

Name a file transfer program you use and I'll send it to ya.

Let me see how 1.7.2 does... I know I had very few issues with it until I ran updates on it.