General Power distribution

Tracy

Dark Sky Lover
Founder
Reaction score
Telescopes

William Optics 103mm
Celestron NexStar 8SE

What do you use for a power distribution system.
Currently I have a standard CamCo plastic battery case with 4 12v cigarette adapters, 4 USB 3.0 5v adapters and a specialized 12v adapter that attaches to the trickle charger, but can also attach to a 12v cigarette adapter or USB 2.0 plug I have.

Needless to say, this results in a lot of cable runs up to the equipment. I've been debating on getting a centralized power distribution box, especially since I am also considering some dew controllers and related equipment since we do have a habit here in Texas for 3 seasons of the year getting heavy dew in the early morning hours.

I've been looking at the Pegasus Astro Pocket Powerbox Advance, since I currently don't need (and really don't foresee) needing the Ultimate Powerbox level. It only gives you (basically) 2 more USB ports... and honestly, you could daisy chain a USB 3.0 hub off of it and get almost the same benefit because not all devices need to grab power from the USB 3.0 chain.

OhNo

Founding Member
Reaction score
As I shoot images from one location I use a DIY power supply made form a desktop computer power supply. These power supplies can provide variety of voltages. The common voltages used in astronomy gear are 5 and 12v. As I have 120v running to my obs this is economical way to supply my power needs.

As Tracy mentioned the multiple cables hanging off a scope/mount is a legitimate concern. First, will the cables hanging cause a balance issue? Will the snag on something? If I am wandering around the scope in the dark, will I trip on one. OR the worse one, if my outside companion (the dog) sees a furry woodland creature in the dark, will he take off after it and snag the cords dumping the whole scope on the ground?????

To eliminate the multiple hangin' wire thing I built a cable from the DIY power supply with one wire that is long enough to get to the top of the scope and has enough slack to allow for un-hinder scope movement. On the top end I created a spider leg of male ends. I purchased all my scope gear to run off 12v this eliminates costly errors in voltage. So My mount, Powered Hub, Camera cooler, and ASIAirPro are all powered by 1 common wire.

I believe the "less is more" philosophy.