• Guest, the images posted in these galleries are copyrighted by their indiviudal owners. Before using them elsewhere, you MUST get permission from the person that has taken them.

Deep Sky Restarting the Hobby - M31

JacobBosarge

Classifieds feedback
+0 /0 /-0
Hello all! After a hiatus of several years I have decided to get back into astrophotography. I figured there’s no better target to start with than one of the most popular, the andromeda Galaxy! My equipment is quite modest and, despite battling with severe aberrations, I am quite please with how this image turned out.

Telescope: Meade ST80
Camera: Nikon D7200 (unmodified)
Mount: Exos-2GT

About 100x 75” light frames with darks, flats and biases stacked in DSS

Further processed in Siri and GIMP.

0881A881-FD4C-450C-9E6A-3A0D4FDA176D.jpeg

Again, I am very happy with this considering it’s through a $100 scope! I have a Svbony ED80 on the way that I hope will be an improvement!

Clear skies!

Camera:  D7200
Great image... I'm still working on getting a grasp on using PixInSight... and then I had to go and throw a new camera (OSC) into the mix.
I've heard some nice things about the Svbony scopes... in fact, have looked at one for the astronomy group I'm working on starting up here locally to use, but think first I want to concentrate on a reflector or two since I already have two decent refractors.

Great image... I'm still working on getting a grasp on using PixInSight... and then I had to go and throw a new camera (OSC) into the mix.
I've heard some nice things about the Svbony scopes... in fact, have looked at one for the astronomy group I'm working on starting up here locally to use, but think first I want to concentrate on a reflector or two since I already have two decent refractors.
Thanks Tracy! Yeah, my budget for this is still relatively tight. I was between the Svbony and the Astrotech. After watching a few of Nebula Photos videos on YouTube with the Svbony I decided it was worth a go! I was able to snag the 80mm for $400 during an Amazon sale. I too would like to get a nice big reflector some day for visual use…

Currently for planetary and visual I've got a NexStar 8se that I really like. It has sat around (along with the ZenithStar) for about 4 years before I got back to them. Now the NexStar 8se runs $1599. When I got it, it was $899. I have an ASI585MC that is targeted towards any planetary captures with it.
My most recent addition to the stable was the Apertura 72mm as it's almost a spitting image of the William Optics ZenithStar 73mm, and I've been really pleased with the optics on it... it's WELL more telescope than I can currently do justice to. I also decided to try out a dedicated OSC in addition to the mono/filter I have... and the processing in PI between the two is somewhat different.

I look forward to more images, especially once you get your new scope in!

Budget helps but getting everything out of what you have is the real accomplishment. The latest and greatest will only frustrate you and keep you broke!

Nice image.