Back What's new

General Watermark on images

Should uploaded images be watermarked in the Astrophotography & Gallery?

• Yes (image)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes (text)

• No

• Doesn't matter to me

• Total voters

Tracy

Dark Sky Lover
Founder
Reaction score
Telescopes

William Optics 103mm
Celestron NexStar 8SE

I have the ability to apply a watermark to any image uploaded to the gallery.
It would look like this

watermark.png

I'm not exactly how large it would be on the image, but for those worried about their images being "stolen" and used/claimed elsewhere, it would eliminate that.

The question is.... do you want your images "defaced" with it applied.
I'm going to temporarily enable it, and upload an image and will link to it here in an edit after done so you can see what it would look like.
Any of the images in the DSO area have the watermark applied (not to the image itself, but an overlay).

If they try to copy/paste the image then this is what they see.

1663546752028.png

As you can see, there is a watermark for the site in the lower right corner.

Tracy

Dark Sky Lover
Founder
Reaction score
Telescopes

William Optics 103mm
Celestron NexStar 8SE

The add-on that I am using will also now apply them to the ones posted in the message areas..

I will keep this enabled currently until poll results return.

NGC1499 4P M RS.jpg

Tracy

Dark Sky Lover
Founder
Reaction score
Telescopes

William Optics 103mm
Celestron NexStar 8SE

The current settings allow you, as the user, to decide if you want your images watermarked or not. This will not be a "required" thing to do, but ALL users will see any watermarks that are currently added.
Again, I want to emphasize...this does NOT change the image you uploaded... it simply presents an additional layer on it when viewed to prevent the "taking" of images that users may not want others to use without permission.

Newly joined members will not be able to elect to add watermarks to their images, nor remove them from existing images until they have been promoted to regular member status.

Tracy

Dark Sky Lover
Founder
Reaction score
Telescopes

William Optics 103mm
Celestron NexStar 8SE

The other option available is a simple text watermark like below, with the forum name and the user name on it.

Screen Shot 2022-09-18 at 8.44.56 PM.png

Tracy

Dark Sky Lover
Founder
Reaction score
Telescopes

William Optics 103mm
Celestron NexStar 8SE

Just as an aside, I've moved the site watermark to the upper right corner for those that do put a watermark in the lower right corner.

For those that link their images from another site, the watermarks will NOT be applied. They only take affect for locally uploaded images. If you host the image on another site and link to it via the insert media option, watermarks here will not take affect as the image is actually hosted at the remote site, so if a watermark is desired, it will be your responsibility to place one there on the remote hosting site.

Again, for any images uploaded directly here, the watermark will be applied. There should be an option for regular members to exclude that watermark if they so choose when uploading an image.

Tracy

Dark Sky Lover
Founder
Reaction score
Telescopes

William Optics 103mm
Celestron NexStar 8SE

Currently this has been removed from the site as it apparently doesn't honor permissions that allow users to not have the watermark applied.