General Watermark on images

Should uploaded images be watermarked in the Astrophotography & Gallery?

• Yes (text)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tracy

Founder
Classified ads
Classifieds feedback
+0 /0 /-0
I have the ability to apply a watermark to any image uploaded to the gallery.
It would look like this

watermark.png

I'm not exactly how large it would be on the image, but for those worried about their images being "stolen" and used/claimed elsewhere, it would eliminate that.

The question is.... do you want your images "defaced" with it applied.
I'm going to temporarily enable it, and upload an image and will link to it here in an edit after done so you can see what it would look like.
Any of the images in the DSO area have the watermark applied (not to the image itself, but an overlay).

If they try to copy/paste the image then this is what they see.

1663546752028.png

As you can see, there is a watermark for the site in the lower right corner.

The add-on that I am using will also now apply them to the ones posted in the message areas..

I will keep this enabled currently until poll results return.

NGC1499 4P M RS.jpg

The current settings allow you, as the user, to decide if you want your images watermarked or not. This will not be a "required" thing to do, but ALL users will see any watermarks that are currently added.
Again, I want to emphasize...this does NOT change the image you uploaded... it simply presents an additional layer on it when viewed to prevent the "taking" of images that users may not want others to use without permission.

Newly joined members will not be able to elect to add watermarks to their images, nor remove them from existing images until they have been promoted to regular member status.

The other option available is a simple text watermark like below, with the forum name and the user name on it.

Screen Shot 2022-09-18 at 8.44.56 PM.png

Just as an aside, I've moved the site watermark to the upper right corner for those that do put a watermark in the lower right corner.

For those that link their images from another site, the watermarks will NOT be applied. They only take affect for locally uploaded images. If you host the image on another site and link to it via the insert media option, watermarks here will not take affect as the image is actually hosted at the remote site, so if a watermark is desired, it will be your responsibility to place one there on the remote hosting site.

Again, for any images uploaded directly here, the watermark will be applied. There should be an option for regular members to exclude that watermark if they so choose when uploading an image.

Currently this has been removed from the site as it apparently doesn't honor permissions that allow users to not have the watermark applied.

This was disabled as it apparently aggravated a few users... so you are now responsible for watermarking your own images.

Having a watermark image would definitely protect the user's images. You will be surprised at how many people will take images and make them out as if they are their own without doing any of the work to capture those images in the first place.

Having a watermark would definitely make them more difficult and would protect members images when they choose to upload them here :)

Having a watermark would definitely make them more difficult and would protect members images when they choose to upload them here
Yeah, the only big issue is several of the users already watermark their images after then have processed them.. so then you end up with either 2 watermarks in different locations.. or watermarks overwriting each other.
I really wish XF has the ability default to allow users to choose which to do when they upload/attach the images... the add-ons I've tried were not really user friendly.

Yeah, the only big issue is several of the users already watermark their images after then have processed them.. so then you end up with either 2 watermarks in different locations.. or watermarks overwriting each other.
I really wish XF has the ability default to allow users to choose which to do when they upload/attach the images... the add-ons I've tried were not really user friendly.
Is it something you have mentioned to Xenforo? They may not be able to but in some cases they do look into things and if there is enough interest try to make it a reality :)

Is it something you have mentioned to Xenforo? They may not be able to but in some cases they do look into things and if there is enough interest try to make it a reality :)
Yes, and it's not really an area of concern of theirs since it is rather niche.

That is a shame as it could be something that many others would use as well if it were available. Hopefully one day :)
$30 USD and you can permanently change uploaded images with a watermark. What I prefer to see is that it display a watermark on the image displayed, but not change the initial image in case you change your domain later. It's one reason I don't "do" watermarks here any longer.. .if the end user wants it, they can place it in their image before upload.
When I'm already spending about $400 a year.. I really would prefer to cut back as much as possible on costs since I don't pass those onward to our users.