Equatorial Mount What would you buy

Tracy Perry

Dark Sky Lover
Founder
Texas
Telescopes

William Optics 103mm
Celestron NexStar 8SE

If you were looking for a nice EQ mount in the $2550-$3000 range right now, what would you select?

Tracy Perry

Dark Sky Lover
Founder
Texas
Telescopes

William Optics 103mm
Celestron NexStar 8SE

Celestron CGX
Does the interface with the mount require it to go through the hand controller, or can you directly interface with the mount from Stellarmate, not requiring a 2 or 3 point alignment like you do with the EQ35-Pro and the GoTo mount

Apparently some of the higher end SkyWatcher series mounts allow direct interface, without having to do alignments via the hand controller before turning over control to Stellarmate and the mount.

OhNo

Founding Member
I have no idea what Celestron has for a interface now. You said you needed capacity at "X" price range. You can buy a mount that uses no HC it uses WiFi. I haven't heard IF they had all the bugs worked out of that yet. But I know what one bug would be, RANGE.

You may want to find someone who runs a remote observatory 100's of mile from where they control it from. There is a guy on TSS that does it, it isn't cheap. he has partners in his obs in New Mexico, he lives on the SE coast of the US...

Tracy Perry

Dark Sky Lover
Founder
Texas
Telescopes

William Optics 103mm
Celestron NexStar 8SE

You may want to find someone who runs a remote observatory 100's of mile from where they control it from. There is a guy on TSS that does it, it isn't cheap. he has partners in his obs in New Mexico, he lives on the SE coast of the US...
Have a friend (Chris Davis) that runs an IT business in Arkansas that currently has an observatory in New Mexico... his system was down last time I talked to him because his ASI1600MM fan had gone out... and nobody was available to replace it with the spare fan he has in his observatory.
He recently got StarLink up and running for his internet connection since his observatory is sorta "in the boonies". We were laughing about how we cursed StarLink, but it was also useful.
He has a pier system setup and the observatory is fully automated.

What I'm going to be looking for is a mount that connects from the RPi to the mount via USB cable and does not have to go through the hand controller. Currently with my EQ-35 Pro I have to use the hand controller to do at least a 2 star alignment THEN the software will detect the mount. I know some of the better mounts don't require you to use the handset to do alignments then go through it again in the software - you simply use the software to do your alignments. I'm not interested in tying another WiFi device into the mix... mainly because that's just one more thing that draws power, and the RPi is already attached to the scope so running a short cable to the mount is not that much of an issue.

OhNo

Founding Member
LOL I switched to StarLink and no one can match the speed for price in rural SK. I have only done one Star alignment since I started using SM. I have done 1 Polar alignment in 3 years and that was to see how well the SM Polar alignment worked. A obs with a pier simplifies the Startup and shutdown.

Tracy Perry

Dark Sky Lover
Founder
Texas
Telescopes

William Optics 103mm
Celestron NexStar 8SE

Yes... but not all have a pier. My equipment is also set up to be taken with us when we go on our RV travels... which frequently take us out of the Bortle 5 area we are in and into Bortle 2 & 3 areas. Our next outing is targeted towards South Llano River State Park here in Texas, an IDS certified park.
South Llano River State Park (Texas)

IDS Site  South Llano River State Park (Texas)

South Llano River State Park provides refuge for wildlife and people on the southwestern edge of the Hill Country. Bring your hiking boots, water toys, camping gear, and sense of adventure! South Llano River State Park is an International Dark Sky Park.

For those of us who are blessed with dark skies and land to set up on, an observatory is almost a given.
Even down on my brothers land I would't set up down there because at the best it's a 3, and approaching 4 in many areas of his land.

To give you an idea of the area of sky I can shoot from my house, take your index finger and your adjacent "say high" finger and spread them apart as far as you can... that's about the FOV I have to view/shoot from.

OhNo

Founding Member
LOL There ya go, a remote obs at the Bros place! ;)

Tracy Perry

Dark Sky Lover
Founder
Texas
Telescopes

William Optics 103mm
Celestron NexStar 8SE

LOL There ya go, a remote obs at the Bros place! ;)
yeah... I can see it now..a bunch of drunk red-neck yahoos down hog hunting at night and shooting at anything that moves... and knowing my luck, every round would land in any structure I had built. 🦧
He uses the land to "entertain" contractors and sub-contractors on. He's in the construction industry and is a VP of the company..

OhNo

Founding Member
Oh!

Well the is a work-around. Put up a obs. Build a cider brick circular wall around it. The wall only needs to be high enough to protect the obs..... Anf in addition I already have a name for it.......

"THE ALAMO"
:unsure:🙂