Electronic Auto Focus ZWO EAF

OhNo

Charter Member
Solutions
Classifieds feedback
+0 /0 /-0
Times are a changin'. A few years ago I bought a ZWO EAF (auto focuser). At that time they were powered at 12v. I just looked and discovered the 12v model is discontinued. However there is more to the story, When I purchased my EAF my Mount (CGEM) the ASIAir Pro and EAF were powered with 12v, the only powered hub I could source locally was 5v. As you guessed I swapped a bunch of stuff out and plugged the powered hub into the wrong plug. Magic smoke (well not that much) was let loose...... I ordered a new powered hub ( I use this as not to induce electronic noise into my images by overloading USB power to gear) that was 12v.

Now for no other reason (that I can imagine) but for the sake of change they only sell a 5v version. It has always frustrated me that one manufacturer uses different voltages. I guess they don't subscribe to the KISS principle!

They probably went to 5v so that it could be powered from some USB3 powered hubs?

I'm looking at this one right now, a Pegasus Astro FocusCube 2. It fits the William Optics GT71, which I think is the same focuser as on the William Optics ZentihStar 103mm.

I've read product reviews on both. Talked to a guy with the Pegasus, that is why I went the direction I went.

Just checked astrospheric.com for your weather, ummmm quit buyin' stuff if you ever want to see a star again! :ROFLMAO:

Other astronomers in your area may start to revolt! 😮:sneaky::ROFLMAO:

Just checked astrospheric.com for your weather, ummmm quit buyin' stuff if you ever want to see a star again! :ROFLMAO:

Other astronomers in your area may start to revolt! 😮:sneaky::ROFLMAO:
If talking about me... tell me about it. Two days of sorta decent sky since I got the cameras a few weeks ago...the rest has been so cloud covered it makes me cry.... and now I went and bought an EAF.... so another few weeks of clouds expected. :poop:

Screen Shot 2022-08-30 at 8.38.55 PM.png

And it pretty much stays like that for the next 4 days, except for a few times during the daylight hours.

You should of got a white light solar filter for one of your rigs. Then you can occupy your daylight hours shooting sun spots!

They make 'em for both scopes... but even in the daytime for the last few days we've not been able to see the sun. One of the reasons we've not hit the high 90's lately.

But if you'd have put it on the latest order you'd avoid the clouds 'cause you didn't make an order next week......:)